Wednesday, August 04, 2004

My School life

I’m really looking forward for my engineering college to start; it means new campus, new professors, new friends, new hostel, new subjects and a new life. Last night I was thinking it would be better if I can manage to write down a note of every thing that happened in my life as far as I can remember, so that I can have no trouble in reminiscensing things for writing my autobiography at a latter age.

The following text was written by me some two years ago. Just thought I'd put it up here.

|||||||||||||||||||||||
Mrs.Kusuma was my first nursery teacher at Happy Model School to which I usually went on a rickshaw. I still remember the school so well even though I did not once go there after I left it; The morning prayer and VandeMataram done in the backyard; myself sitting in the corner of the class room being scared of talking to anyone or gaining the teachers attention. Then began my actual schooling at St.Ann’s Eng. Med. School, which was by far the best school in the town.

I went to the school on the school bus crying all the way. My first friend at school was Sushma who sat beside me on the first day of my school and continued with me until I left St.Ann’s; she was always the best student in our class and was the class leader. Mrs.Transfield was my LKG teacher to whose house I frequently went with my parents for many years until I left St.Ann’s. Mrs.Jennyfer was my class teacher when I was in UKG; I don’t remember much of her though except for her huge Christmas tree and the small glass of wine she offered us when we went to her house.

Ms.Hema was the teacher of my 1st std., I remember her to be really beautiful; there was a time when she scolded me for my bad handwriting and she herself praised me for improving my writing later.

Mr.Clinton was my class teacher in 2nd std.; I wasn’t having a good impression of him at that time because he used to conduct daily tests and punish everyone who didn’t fare well in the tests, but I was a really good student anyway.

I remember Mrs. Sujata Suresh, who was our class teacher in 3rd std.; she was such a crank pot and a really scary looking woman with whom I had to go to school in the auto until I left St.Ann’s. Sr. Virgin Mary was my mathematics teacher that year; she came to my house along with Sujatha teacher and had dinner with my family after praying for us. Mr. O.V.Ramana taught us Science and Ms.Girija continued to teach telugu this year also after 1st and 2nd stds.

Mrs. Narsamma was my 4th std. class teacher who taught us Mathematics. Mrs.Saradha taught us Social Studies. Mrs. Suguna taught us Science; everyone in the class of 60 students was scared of her. Mrs.Sujatha continued to teach English. Mr Mallikarjuna Rao taught Telugu that year; he was such a sport but strict teacher. This year the Silver Jubilee Celebrations of our school took place in such a grand scale with atleast 6000 people who came to watch it besides being telecasted live on TV.

Mr. Ojha was our class teacher in 5th std.; he taught us Hindi and used to punish students mercilessly. Mr.Thompson taught us mathematics, Sr. Deepa taught us English; she was such a good teacher and I was her favourite student in the class of around 70. Mrs.jansi taught us telugu; she was very particular on hand writing and made us copy write daily. Sr. Josmy taught us Social Studies; she is my all-time favourite teacher who had a style of her own; she conducted regular quizzes and all. Mr.R.V. Prasad taught us Science. I usually sat in the first bench and the first two benches were like a group; we studied together and played together.

Sr.Josmy happened to be my class teacher in 6th std.; she was a really young nun who had a cool glow on her face. Unfortunately she was transferred somewhere else at the end of the year. Mrs. Don taught us Mathematics that year; and I was her fav. Student in the class. Mrs. Mahalakshmi taught us telugu; she was famous all round the school for the vigour with which she punished students. I was lucky enough to escape her fury as the doctor warned her not to get excited after a small accident.

Mr. Nagendra Prasad was my class teacher in 7th std. Mr. Nageswara Rao who was known to be a brilliant teacher taught us Mathematics. Mrs Subbalakshmi taught us English. Mr Mallikarjuna rao taught us Telugu. Ms.Brazitta taught us hindi that year. Sr.Deepthi taught us Geography.

Mrs Girija who came from Singapore the previous year taught us English in 8th std.; she was a really good teacher. Sr.deepti taught us History. Miss.Suzikutti taught us Geography. Mrs.Nirmala taught us Biology and Chemistry while Mr.V.V.Ramana thought us Physics; he was a very good teacher but the worst critic I have ever seen, he finds a fault with everything literally. Mr.Nageshwar Rao continued to teach Mathematics this year also. This was a pretty messy year. However this was my last year at Sr.Ann’s school. I remember the glorious building, which taught me for 10 years and laid foundation for my whole life as strong as its own foundations. The huge school is worth its weight in gold. I can never forget the classrooms in which I studied and the grounds on which I played for 10 years. I’m waiting for the day when the grand school can proudly teach its students about its old student (me).

The next two years 9th and 10th stds. I studied in NNT School, which was established by old St.Ann’s teachers. It was a small school and it was like a family. All the teachers were young and were such a sport to be with. I remember Mrs.Hafeeza who taught English, Miss.Yamini who taught us Physics, Mr.Muralidhar who taught us Biology, Mrs. Vasudha who taught us Geography and economics, Mrs. Sarvani who taught us history and civics, Ms. Sireesha who taught us Biology, Mrs. Maheswari who taught us Physics, Mrs. Vishala who taught us English, Mr.Bhaskar who taught us Physics and the directors Mr.Nageshwara Rao, Mr Nagendra Prasad and Mr. Thompson Eliot. I can remember the farewell party we gave to our seniors in 9th std., the party given to us by our juniors and the one we gave to our teachers in 10th std., the Teacher’s day celebration in which I staged a play along with my friends. And how can i even dream of forgetting the excursion in 9th std. which covered Simhachalam, Annavaram where we took a bath in a small canal, Borra caves full of enchanting rock formations and stalagmites, Visakhapatnam which was a beautiful city ; the view from atop the Kailasagiri and the beach. And the best of all Araku valley with spellbinding scenes donned in natural beauty and chill, to bear which i had to wear two sweaters and a monkey cap. The journey from Visakhapatnam to Borra caves on the train was the best as the train passes through 28 tunnels; the water falls on the left and the deep green valley on the right holds your mind glued to the scene. The enjoyment in bus with all my friends and teachers for nearly four sleepless days was once-in-a-lifetime experience.

No one wishes to forget the days of his childhood; as a Telugu poet prays:
"Vundo ledo Swargam;
naa punyam naaku echhaye.
Naa sarwaswam neeku istha;
naa 'baalyam' naaku echhaye."
meaning:
"I don't know whether there is a heaven or not;
give me back my merit.
I will give you everything you ask for;
Give me back my childhood in return"

(Wow, and do I preach, this halo round my head is getting to be very uncomfortable though, I would gladly replace it with the devil's horns to feel at ease ;)

Current Music - Krishna - Colonial Cousins

No comments: